Superseded. Go here.
Because the purpose of the Citizens Radio Service was supposed to be short range communications and line of sight communication in the UHF spectrum is sufficient, it is obvious the propagation characteristics of the 10 meter band is unsuitable for that purpose. Local communications do not need atmospheric propagation, nor do users require radio frequency amplifiers which creates RF pollution and excessive power levels that far exceed allowable MPE limits. Then again, having a place - 11 meters - where those who cannot take an exam will keep the mass of lowest common denominator culture away from Amateur Radio.
I propose the following - that Part 95 of Chapter 1 of Title 47 of the Code of Federal Regulations are amended as follows:
1. The Citizens Band Radio Service is to defined as a private, two-way, short-distance voice communications service in the Ultra High Frequency band for personal or business activities of the general public.
2. The General Mobile Radio Service is abolished. All current licensees may operate until the expiration date of their license. No new GMRS radios may be sold or placed into operation.
3. The Family Radio Service is abolished. All persons currently operating with existing equipment may do so, however, no new FRS radios may be sold or placed into operation.
4. The Citizen's Band Radio Service in the 11 meter band is abolished. No operation may take place in that band. No new 11 meter radios may be sold or placed into operation.
5. The frequencies authorized are available on a shared basis only and will not be assigned for the exclusive use of any entity.
6. The highest point of any antenna must not be more than 6.1 meters (20 feet) above the ground or above the building or tree on which it is mounted.
7. The maximum allowable transmitter power shall be no more than 2 watts effective radiated power.
8. Repeater operation is prohibited.
9. Tone coded, digital coded squelch, and paging systems may be used.
10. Frequencies allowed for use are 462.5500 to 462.7250 and 467.5500 to 467.7250 in 12.5 Khz steps.